Since 2001, gabbegroup, which merged its PR business with Finn Partners in late 2014, has deployed strategic communications and media relations to present the full spectrum of cancer-related topics and issues (disease site, research, prevention, survivorship, enterprise). This work focuses on advancing MD Anderson’s mission by educating patients, survivors, families, policy makers, media and the general public.
The Finn Partners/MD Anderson team works daily with faculty, capitalizing on breaking research news; initiating media partnerships to bring consumers comprehensive, practical information (U.S. News & World Report, Prevention, AARP, NBC, CNN en Español); arranging media meetings and roundtables in the U.S. and abroad; supporting national and community educational initiatives; engaging multicultural audiences; and furthering enterprise developments.
We also collaborate on positioning the institution’s leadership, including introducing top-tier media to its fourth president, Dr. Ronald A. DePinho. Results included major features in The New York Times, The Economist, PBS NewsHour and “The Wall Street Journal Report with Maria Bartiromo.” We were an active part of the team that announced in an ambitious, $3 billion, 10-year Moon Shots Program conceived by Dr. DePinho to dramatically reduce mortality rates from eight cancers and disrupt the accepted scientific research model. The announcement received global media coverage.
- More than 2,000 media placements, averaging 1 billion+ impressions each year and in top tier outlets including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, TIME, Newsweek, Bloomberg, Reuters, AP, NPR, and more, as well as leading women’s and lifestyle magazines; influential regional dailies; websites and national/syndicated broadcast outlets.
- Earned media partnerships/affiliations with US News & World Reports, AARP, Prevention magazine and Women’s Day.
- Cover/feature pieces in BusinessWeek, Fortune, Financial Times, CNN,Economist, and on CNN, CNBC, PBS, nightly network news and radio.
- Highly prized New York Times Science Times’ “Conversations with”….Dr. Ritsuko Komaki, for her pioneering work in radiology inspired by her childhood in Japan at the time of Hiroshima; and Dr. James Allison, for his seminal work in immunotherapy.
- Advancing MD Anderson’s prevention and treatment mission into the Hispanic community, where cancer is the second leading cause of death. Our targeted “campaign” into the Spanish-language news marketplace created an ongoing partnership with CNN en Espanol; and resulted in media tours with key Hispanic outlets in Miami and important prevention-focused coverage in such outlets as El Diario, Diario Las Americas, Selecciones (Readers Digest), MiDieta con Univision Salud and Latina Style, among others.
- Cancer prevention communications is central to our PR program, including support for research and public initiatives. Our work in this area encompasses in-person (desksides with journalists) and radio media tours; comprehensive guides for media reporting; campaigns centered on MD Anderson priorities, such as ending tobacco use, increasing HPV vaccination rates, and instituting legislation prohibiting access to tanning beds by children/teens. In the first half of 2015, we achieved over 307 million media impressions for prevention-focused topics.