Social media vendors need to move fast. The landscape is constantly changing and those who move the fastest win. After dabbling with a social media ad network and virtual currency, Buddy Media decided to focus on branded social media applications. They needed to get their message out first to define branded applications as the new social ad unit and establish market leadership.
The strategy was to:
- Develop simple yet effective messaging – and be consistent
- Define the "app as the new ad unit"
- Own "App-vertising"
- Own data around social apps
- Develop CEO Michael Lazerow as a New York-area thought leader
The result included:
- Regular quality feature coverage in top publications including AllThingsD, Advertising Age, ClickZ, Silicon Alley Insider and countless trade publications
- White paper and media coverage generated substantial quality Fortune 500 leads
- Leverage CEO as MediaPost and iMedia columnist
- Healthy events schedule including ad tech and iMedia events, hosted events at Buddy Media offices, mediabistro.com CEO Breakfast
- Media overheard repeating phrase "app is the new ad unit" at AlwaysOn and other industry events
- Multiple Crain's NY Business and Silicon Alley Insider features
- Numerous reporters call CEO their "BS detector" and count him as a go-to source